Automated Architecture (AUAR) – ‘our’ for short – is a mission-led tech start-up using automation to accelerate the mass adoption of timber in construction. We’re on a mission to make homes better for people and the planet.
Whilst timber is widely accepted as the preferred material for quality, sustainable homes, adoption has generally been slow as home-builders struggle to make it viable. That’s because the industry continues to use traditional construction methods with very little technology or automation.
So we’ve gone back to basics and designed a new timber-based building system with automation in mind. Our system is robotically manufactured, saving time and money for homebuilders.
About the role
As Automation Engineer, you will be responsible for the design and development of our robotic hardware which is centred around industrial robots that machine and assemble timber components. You will report to and work closely with the VP of Engineering to develop new and existing capabilities in line with the development roadmap. Your role will be wide-ranging including elements of research, procurement, testing, commissioning and documenting. You will work with other teams across AUAR including the building system team to ensure automation capabilities are optimised by the system and the delivery team to program and maintain the robots and equipment.
This is a key role in the development or AUAR’s automation capability and pivotal to the success of the business.
Specifically, you’ll be responsible for:
- Plan, design, procure, and implement hardware for our Micro-Factory product.
- Assist with product BOM, costings, deployment schedules, and planned maintenance.
- Recommend, develop, and implement enhancements and improvements to existing robotic capabilities
- Develop new robotic capabilities such as tooling for robots and other automation processes.
- Conduct research and development of novel robotic and manufacturing processes.
- Contribute to general product vision and development within the company.
- Work with our operations team to effectively deliver and commission Micro-Factory equipment (including design development, procurement, lead times, and installation times).
- Develop manuals and information tools to assist remote Micro-Factory teams in deploying and troubleshooting AUAR systems.
- Help maintain a safe, clean, and organized workshop space.
- Promote healthy and safe working conditions in our facilities and in the equipment we ship to customers.
- Ensure manufacturing processes are carried out in an environmentally responsible manner.
- Attend conferences and CPD sessions to stay up-to-date with the latest advancements in automation, timber, and manufacturing technologies.
You’re an experienced pair of hands working with industrial robots and automated manufacturing equipment
You’re equipped with working knowledge of robot tooling design and automation integration
You’re experienced designing in CAD software, such as Inventor or Solidworks
(Ideally) you have experience with ABB robot controllers and Robot Studio/RAPID, setting up and programming PLCs and electrical and pneumatic systems used in automation
(Ideally) you have hands-on workshop experience including designing sheet metal/CNC components, 3D printing, welding, and other general workshop skills
You have a degree in Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics, Automation, Robotics, or an equivalent field
You have 2+ years of industry experience
You’re a systems thinker with an ability to systematically break down and solve complex problems
You have excellent verbal and written communication skills
You’re resourceful and happy working autonomously but also thrive as part of a team
You’re comfortable in an R&D environment, prototyping and testing as you go
- You’re able to work in our London base most of the week with some travel to other sites
- Flexible working (where possible)
- 28 days leave + bank holidays + seasonal office closure
- Health & Dental Insurance
- Sabbatical every 4 years
- Generous parental leave
If you think you could be a good fit then we’d love to hear from you!
Send us an email at – firstname.lastname@example.org